Look for what you need to find

Friday, December 10, 2010

My "thoughts" on this book

I am currently reading the book, "The Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton, and I am on page ninety six. This story, and book, takes place in the United States, and the main character changes between chapters. The one that I am on right now, is named Burton. They are currently in a government facility that is analyzing the Andromeda Strain, which is a bacterial disease that has arrived in Earth's atmosphere. Now, they are looking at a recording of the bacteria and what it looks like under a microscope. Now, these guys are freaking out. It looks like a planet to them, and they're coming up with all of these crazy ideas. They are arguing whether or not to get rid of the disease or not. I think that the ones who are supporting the destruction of Andromeda Strain, probably are thinking about what they have to lose, and don't view them as a living thing. What is really strange, is that the ones who are sticking up for the thing, (yeah that's right, I just called a disease a thing!) are trying to justify the situation. "It is just living!" they protest, "It doesn't have a mind of its own." Well the fact that they are trying to bring about justice to this thing, just amazes me. Why would they want to? In any case the ones who are trying to bring the justice are the ones who are sticking up for it. This is because killing anything is wrong. It is unjust. Now the ones who are blocking justice, are the ones who want to kill it. Although, in they're minds they are trying to bring about justice. It's true though. This disease killed about... well fifty people. Not so much, but they were completely innocent. Well, not completely because they have probably killed an organism in their lives as well. So is it really unjust? I am still debating with myself to see which one is "wrong". There are both sides to the argument and, I am unsure of which one to take. What do you think? Kill it, or save it?

1 comment:

  1. This commment made me think about human nature differently. Throughout hundreds of years the response people have had to something dangerous is to kill it. This post made me think differently because you made it clear that killing is wrong and challenged those views that it was okay to kill somethingh dangerous. This comment made me change my views, and made me interested in this book.

    ReplyDelete